Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Science and Art



My investigation of science and art started when I was eating lunch. I bought one of those big crates of clementines from Walmart- therefore I have frequently been eating these delicious little fruits. When I was eating one the other day I was peeling a part each slice and realized how amazing it is that this fruit is sectioned off into slices. I also became fascinated by its outer shell and how it is a great convenience to the consumer because it never needs to be protected from looming bacteria. It makes a person wish all fruit was like this so we never had to slice any ever again!

My original thought was to explore the sectioning of clementines, but was drawn more to the incredible line work found on each slice. All this to say I don't per say have a question, but more a great appreciation of the line work found in nature- a clementine.

This would relate to science in the area of pomology- which is the science of growing fruit. Pomology is a branch off of botany- which is the scientific study of plants, including their physiology, structure, genetics, ecology, distribution, classification, and economic importance.

At the moment how I am going to translate this into art is by focusing solely on line work. I think it would be interesting to copy the line work found on the rounded surface of a clementine and transfer it onto the flat surface of a piece of paper.

2 comments:

joshua s said...

how literally sweet!

Anonymous said...

hi, how do you know lulu edwards?