Thursday, March 12, 2009

ornamentation

Our next assignment for Drawing III has to do with ornamentation. One of the artists I found was Carrie Lederer.
http://www.carrielederer.com/

She deals a lot with organic subjects- hence all the green, but I am also attracted to her use of mixed media.

Though Carrie is what I would call a typical fine arts ornamentation artist- one of the first things I thought of when I heard ornamentation is jewelry, costumes, and disguises. I am currently reading throught Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. In each book the evil Count Olaf disguises himself- with very poor disguises- in attempts to capture the Baudelaire children and essential their enormous fortune. I would like to explore the idea of disguises and the fact that no matter how much or how little you add to your apperance you are still always you and will still always having the same motives....to capture innocent children and steal all their deceased parents money.

In thinking about Lemony Snicket- I began investing gating the illustrator of the series. Brett Helquist
http://www.bretthelquist.com/index.html



To me the layout of each Unfortunate cover has ornamentation on it because of the boarder surrounding the picture. The two small circles in each corner picturing the children and the unfortunate event of their burning house. In all honesty, I am still in the deciding factor if this would be considered ornamentation.

No comments: