Friday, October 3, 2008

Reflection


10 minute drawing

Structure
I think I am getting a strong long axis line in my figure, but I rush into outlining (with longer posed drawings). I need to consciously force myself to take my time with studying the cross contours and not immediately marking my paper. I need to train my hand to do the motions and movement of making a line until I feel I have an exact cross contour. I put the cross contours in the majority of the time but need to be aware more of the angels and observe the model more before marking my paper. I feel that my outlines closed because they are dark and heavy. Even so, I do not think they have a flat coloring-book feel because there is slight variation throughout the figure, but like always could be improved to portray more life.

Anatomy
On this drawing I only drew in the basic form and minimal anatomical landmarks. I included the egg-like form for the rib cage and marked the top of the iliac crests. I also included the sacrum triangle, but going back and looking at my drawing I realized I drew it upside down! My anatomical landmarks are minimal because I need to refresh my memory with everything we have learned before I begin drawing.

Line
I have noticed that I draw heavy and go over my lines again and again until I like them. Once I have drawn my lines and notice how heavy some can be, I remember to go back with my eraser and lighten the lines that are further away from me perspective wise. I also need to work on having variety in line characteristics. For the most part I draw the same width of line. I think I will be able to improve this not only with being more conscious of this when I draw, but also making sure I have a well-sharpened tool.

Composition
I can always improve the use of my picture plane/space of the page. When I dive into a drawing too fast I find myself running out of room because I tend to draw big. If I took the time to plan with light drawn cross contours, I think I would minimize my space problem. In this drawing the first thing I should have done was rotate my drawing pad horizontal to give me a better set up to fit the figure. I think the scale of my drawings compliment the size of the drawing pad because it takes up a good third, if not more of the page.



1 hour drawing

Structure
The long axes lines and cross contour lines are faint but noticeable in this drawing. I think they function well in showing the length and direction of each form. One part I think needs improvement with the cross contours is the figures right leg. To me it looks slightly awkward. My drawing is outlined but I think is more open than my ten-minute drawing because there is more variation in the line value. The drawing does take on a coloring-book type quality because the line thickness is too consistent.


Anatomy

In this drawing you are able to see the egg-like form, the tops of the iliac crest, and the sacrum triangle. It is difficult to include more anatomical landmarks because a lot of the ones we have learned are found on the front of the figure. I also included the spinal erector muscles, but I feel I am still learning where they lay on the back of the figure. I think I possibly could have the spinal erectors going too wide on the back of the rib cage.

Line
The line quality in the drawing is more varied in value. I think there is a good variety of light to dark lines, but I think I could have more light, soft lines and a few less heavy dark lines. I think this drawing struggles with creating atmospheric perspective because I did not make the lines that are father away from me as light as they should be. For example the left arm supporting the models head should be lighter than depicted because of how far away it was from me.

Composition
I thought I did very well with the composition on this drawing. I was able to fit the entire figure on the picture plane and its size is appropriate with the size of the paper. My figure takes up about a third of the paper giving it enough room all around it.

No comments: